Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

Grad Student Corner: Fried Rice

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the hiatus, but we all graduated and that was a draining experience. I'm now into my first month of grad school and my cooking habits have changed. No longer am I the carefree undergrad who bought steak to eat with my Gorgonzola mashed potatoes. I'm going to create a new segment called Grad Student Corner, where I look at cheap, easy to make recipes with leftovers.

The first dish for GSC is Fried Rice. A staple dish, this is the best way to consolidate all those one-ofs in your kitchen.

That one last hog dog that has no bun.

That last egg that isn't really enough to make an omlette.

That half an onion leftover from when you made toppings for your hot dogs.

The basic idea is to take rice that you have, either from leftover Chinese carry out or a meal that you made, and cook it with soy sauce. You can then add in the one-ofs, making this a kind of unique meal. Some things(eggs, hot dogs, some veggies) should be fried before you put them in the rice. This makes it so that things that have uneven cooking temperatures are not undercooked. That makes Dinesh a sad grad student.


No comments:

Post a Comment